Step 1

  Financial Aid Application Information


Financial Aid is NEVER automatically renewed.  You must reapply each new academic year.

ChecklistAll forms and checklists are available on the documents section of the financial aid web site for the appropriate year. The Department of Education will notify you through your Student Aid Report if you are selected for a process called Verification (See our website) and may even require you to provide additional forms. It is your responsibility to make sure the financial aid application contains all of the following items: 

1.  New students must apply for admission and be admitted to Troy University before aid will be awarded.   Contact the Admissions Office ( ) at the campus you plan to attend.

 2.  Apply for a FSA ID at fsaid.ed.govClick on Create An FSA ID.    The FSA ID is the code that the U.S. Department of Education uses to identify you online.  A FSA ID allows you to electronically sign and submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).  A FSA ID saves time; allows you to make corrections to your FAFSA online and gives you student access to the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS) web site (  which tracks your financial aid from all schools. Do not reveal your FSA ID to anyone; it gives access to your confidential information.

 3.  All students must fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) each new award year.  Financial aid is never renewed automatically.  Apply online at after January 1.  Read and follow all the instructions using your FSA ID to electronically sign and submit your application online.  Use Federal School Code 001047 for Troy University (all sites and locations).  If you have questions about completing the FAFSA, making corrections, or adding Troy University to an existing FAFSA call 800-433-3243.  Upon receipt of the FAFSA, if you are admitted, you will be sent a Missing Information Letter (MIL) via mail and e-mail.  If a registered student, Trojan Web Express will show missing items.

4.  All students requesting federal aid must complete this certification and counseling form each award year.  Financial aid requests will not be processed until accomplished.

5.  You must read all of the following statements regarding policies, minimum standards, practices, and certifications before selecting "I AGREE".

Policies Governing Financial Aid Awards

Award Letter. When your file is complete an Award Letter will be mailed to you.  Upon receipt, you must accept or decline each award, sign, date and return the original (white copy) of the Notification of Financial Aid Award to the Financial Aid Office within ten days of notification to ensure your award is processed properly.   If you are not attending Fall or Term 1, indicate the semester/term you will attend on the Award Letter.  You award will be for either Fall & Spring Semesters or Terms 1-4.

Payment of Awards.  Loan, Grant, and Scholarship proceeds will be available and/or credited against student accounts based on the schedule available at the Student Financial Services.

Student Employment.  Any amount listed on your financial aid award letter for student employment is only an estimate of potential earnings.  Students offered employment will be paid minimum wage for actual hours worked, not to exceed 13 hours per week.  Students will be notified of their job assignments after their award notices are signed and returned.  Students will retain their jobs only if their work performance is satisfactory. 

Direct Stafford Loans.  Upon receipt of your signed award letter, all first-time Troy University borrowers under the William D. Ford Direct Stafford Loan Program must complete Entrance Counseling and sign a Master Promissory Note (MPN). 

New borrowers must go to, sign-in with your FSA ID, complete the Entrance Counseling and sign your MPN.  Your loan is not guaranteed until the Department of Education receives a fully executed MPN from you through this process.

Student loan funds can only be disbursed for the period of the loan request.  If you cease to be enrolled, drop below half-time, or graduate all loan funds for future disbursements will be cancelled

Monitor your loan at for loan guarantee and disbursement schedule.

Course Load.  You must enroll full-time each term in order to receive maximum financial aid benefits. You must be enrolled at least half-time as a degree seeking student to receive a loan. Only graduate courses will count toward financial aid eligibility for graduate students. Courses taken as a Transient student or under a Six Month Learning Contract or classified as Continuing Education are not eligible for federal assistance. If you drop hours your award may be reduced or cancelled.

            Undergraduate Course Loads             Graduate Course Loads

                  Semester              T-Term                        Semester        T-Term

Full-time         12                       6                                  8 - 9                6

¾-time          9 - 11                 4 - 5                                 7                4 - 5

Half-time       6 - 8                     3                                  4 - 6               3

 Note:  Only courses required for your degree will be eligible for financial aid and VA benefits. If any course is not properly assigned on your program evaluation, contact the Registrar’s Office and request an official program evaluation ( Also, class attendance is required to receive any type of financial aid.  Students reported for non-attendance by faculty will have their aid reduced or cancelled.     

Withdrawals.  Students who withdraw are required to notify the Financial Aid Office and may be required to repay all or part of any financial aid awarded for that semester/term. Contact Student Financial Services to determine the amount of any repayment.  You will be billed for the amount to be repaid.

If you withdraw prior to 60% of your semester/term, we are required to use a federal calculation to determine whether you earned the funds disbursed to your account. We may be required to return funds from your account to: Unsubsidized Stafford, Subsidized Stafford, Perkins, PLUS, Pell Grant, and other programs. The result could leave you owing a balance to Troy University; you would need to make payment arrangements with Student Financial Services.  You will not be able to register for an approaching semester/term until any balance owed is paid.

Pell Grant – Multi-Institution Adjustments: Awards are based on the total eligibility for the award year even if some eligibility is used at another institution. Pell Grants may be used at only one institution for the same period of enrollment. If a Pell Grant is received at another institution for the same award year, your student account will be adjusted; you will be responsible for any balance. Typically, until we bill the Department of Education for your disbursed Pell Grant, we are not informed of your use of it at another institution (until that institution also bills the Department of Education) for the same award year. You may avoid this problem by writing on your award letter that you have used part of your Pell Grant eligibility at another institution; you should indicate whether the amount you received was for full time, three quarter time, half time or less than half time enrollment and the number of quarters or semesters you received it.

Perkins Loans.  Students who are awarded these loans are required to complete their promissory note online at and return it to Student Financial Services, Troy University, 147 Adams Administration, Troy, Alabama 36082.

Summer Awards.  All awards are set up for the fall and spring semesters/terms only.  Students desiring assistance for summer will be required to complete a separate application for summer funds.  You should contact the Financial Aid Office to determine if any additional funds will be available.  You can view your award online at Trojan Web Express.  All students are encouraged to save funds for summer.

Change of Status/Additional Awards.  Troy University reserves the right to adjust or cancel any aid if your academic or financial status changes or if you receive additional types of aid that change your eligibility.

Partial Year Awards. All awards are initially for Fall/T1 – Spring/T4 regardless of when you apply. If you do not attend Fall/T1, your award will be cancelled. You may either notify us on your award letter the semester/terms you will attend or submit a Partial Year Loan Request/Reinstatement Form and enroll when you indicate.

Availability of Funds.  All financial aid commitments are contingent upon the receipt of federal and state allocations.Financial Aid is credited to your student account after the last day of free drop/add (approximately two weeks after classes begin). To receive any funds from TROY, students must activate their Trojan OneCard online ( Students will receive an e-mail from Higher One when funds have been deposited into their account.

Renewal of Awards.  Financial Aid Awards are never automatically renewed.  You must reapply for financial assistance each academic year.  Forms for the coming academic year are generally available in February each year.

Minimum Standards and Practices

Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) Requirements. Troy University is required by Sec. 484(c) of the Higher Education Act 1965, as amended to establish Standards of Satisfactory Academic Progress for students receiving assistance through Title IV programs (Pell Grant, Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant, Federal Work-Study, State Grant, Perkins Loans, and Federal Student Loan Programs.) Troy University has adopted the following as its official policy governing a regular student’s satisfactory academic progress.

Satisfactory academic progress is not to be confused with “good standing”. A student can meet the Troy University standards of "good standing" and be allowed to enroll or but may not meet the minimum standards of "Satisfactory Progress" to receive financial aid while enrolled.

Grade Point Average and Completion Rate.  To receive Title IV funds (Perkins Loan, Stafford Loan, PLUS Loan, Pell Grant, Work-Study, State, or Supplemental Grant), a student must be making “satisfactory academic progress” toward completing his/her academic program. For purposes of this standard, students must maintain a 2.0 undergraduate (3.0 graduate) cumulative grade point average (GPA) and successfully complete 80% of all hours attempted, including repeated courses, dropped courses, withdrawals, incompletes and F/FA grades.

This standard is measured annually and begins immediately for graduate students and at the end of the first year for undergraduate students.

Maximum Eligibility.  In addition to the above measures, the maximum length of a student’s program may not exceed 150% of the minimum length required to complete the program. The academic records office according to the published standards in the University Bulletin establishes the length of each program. Courses, which transfer from another post-secondary institution, will reduce the time frame accordingly.

Examples: (1) If your degree is a 120 hour program: 120 x 150% = 180 attempted hours maximum time frame. You are eligible for only the first 180 hours attempted. (2) If you transfer and bring 70 hours credit into a 120 hour program: 120 x 150% = 180 – 70 = 110 hours maximum time allowed for degree funding.

However, if at any point it is determined the student will not be able to meet the 150% time frame by graduation, the student becomes ineligible for federal aid.

Example: a student has already attempted 170 hours and is in a program that has a 180 hour maximum, but still has 30 hours left to complete the program; the student will not be eligible for federal aid because the program cannot be completed within the 180 hour time frame (170 + 30 = 200).

Second Degree Issues.  Students who are working toward a degree level which they have already completed (AS, BS, MS, etc.) or who are working toward a degree which is lower than the one they hold, will have their maximum length of program established at no more than 100% of the normal time frame minus any credits, which transfer from any post-secondary institution.

However, if at any point it is determined the student will not be able to meet the 100% time frame by graduation, the student becomes ineligible for federal aid.

Example: a student is working on a second degree and has dropped or withdrawn after the free drop/add, or taken another course that does not pertain to the second degree; the student will not be eligible for federal aid because the program cannot be completed with the time frame.

Students will not be eligible for federal aid when seeking a third degree above the second degree which is already attained.

Example: Students will not be eligible for federal aid if working on a third masterís degree.

Preparatory Coursework.  A student may apply for a Stafford loan for prerequisite coursework that is necessary to be admitted in an eligible program.  The courses must be part of an eligible program offered by Troy University.  If enrolled at least half time in these prerequisite courses, the student is eligible for loans for one consecutive 12-month period (not per program) beginning on the first day of the loan period.

Example:  a student has a bachelor’s degree with a major in mathematics and wants to enroll in a graduate computer science program but needs 12 more semester hours of computer science coursework to meet the admission requirements.  The student may receive a Stafford loan if enrolled at least half time in undergraduate prerequisite courses that are required for enrollment in the graduate program.

Notification and Reinstatement.  A student who is notified of his/her ineligibility for financial aid funds due to failure to meet these standards may submit a written letter of appeal for reinstatement. The written letter must state the basis for the appeal and include a copy of his/her current academic transcript along with supporting information.

The professional financial aid office staff will review each appeal and respond to the student in writing stating the reason for reinstatement or upholding the denial of financial aid. If your appeal is denied, the decision of the appeal committee is final.

Financial Aid Suspension. Financial Aid Suspension status is assigned to a student who fails to make SAP. The student will be ineligible to receive financial aid and will be responsible for payment of tuition and other education expenses out-of-pocket. A student who is placed on Financial Aid Suspension may only receive financial aid when the student re-establishes eligibility by meeting the standards set forth in this policy.

Financial Aid Probation. Financial Aid Probation status is assigned to a student who fails to make SAP and who has successfully appealed and has had financial aid reinstated. A student who is placed on financial aid probation may receive financial aid for one term/semester. At the conclusion of the term/semester, if the student meets the Standards of Satisfactory Academic Progress, the student will be eligible for financial aid reinstatement.

If the student fails to meet overall Satisfactory Academic Progress at the end of the probation, the studentís academic performance for the term/semester will be evaluated against the studentís Financial Aid Probationary Academic Plan.

The student is responsible to contact the Financial Aid Office after grades are finalized for the probationary term/semester to request a SAP reevaluation for financial aid eligibility for the next term/semester.

Financial Aid Probationary Academic Plan. During the probationary term/semester the student is required to: (1) be enrolled at least half-time and complete 100% of the classes for credit; (2) have a minimum grade of "C" in each class for undergraduate students or "B" in each class for graduate students; (3) not drop, withdraw, or receive an incomplete/failing grade.

If these requirements are not met, the student will be ineligible to receive financial aid and will be responsible for payment of tuition and other education expenses out-of-pocket until these satisfactory academic progress standards are met.


Certification.  I certify that all of the information provided in this form is true and complete to the best of my knowledge.  I further certify that I have read the policies governing my financial aid award at Troy University and that I agree to abide by these policies stated herein.  If asked by an authorized official, I agree to give proof of the information provided on my financial aid application.  I realize that if I do not give proof when asked, I may be denied aid.

Educational Purpose Certification.  I certify that I will use any Federal Title IV, HEA funds I receive solely for expenses related to my attendance at Troy University.

Overpayment and Default Certification.  I understand that I may not receive any Federal Title IV, HEA funds if I owe an overpayment on any Title IV educational grant or am in default on any Title IV educational loan unless I have made satisfactory arrangement to repay or otherwise resolve the overpayment or default. My completion of this form indicates that I am not in default on any Title IV loan and I do not owe a repayment on any Title IV, HEA educational grant or loan. I also understand that I must notify Troy University if I owe a refund or am in default.

Transfer of Funds Certification.  My completion and submission of this form authorizes Troy University to transfer any student aid funds received to my student account for payment or charges related to my enrollment (including appropriate fines, fees, books, etc.).  See University Store for book charge policy.  By submitting this document I am also authorizing Troy University to accept my faxed signature as well as electronic communications on my behalf.

Warning:  If you purposely give false or misleading information on forms submitted to the Financial Aid Office, you may be subject to a fine of up to $10,000 or imprisonment for up to five years, or both.

  If you are ready to move on, click on the Continue button to go to the next section.
  1. When I withdraw from the University:
  A. I may not meet Satisfactory Academic Progress Standards when I reapply for financial aid.
  B. If I received more funds than I earned through 60% of the semester/term, the excess funds will be calculated and returned.
  C. My awards will be cancelled.
  D. All of the above.
  Please make a choice
  2. When I reapply for financial aid, my grades and completion rate of hours attempted will be compared to a standard.
  Please make a choice
  3. If I am denied financial aid due to not making Satisfactory Academic Progress, I may
  A. Complete another MPN.
  B. Appeal the decision with documentation to the financial aid office.
  C. Appeal to my lender.
  D. Appeal to my professor.
  Please make a choice
  4. After accepting/returning an award letter, if I do not attend for Fall/T1 or after attending Fall/T1 I stay out a semester or term, my aid will be cancelled due to non-attendance. In order to reinstate my aid I must complete and submit a(n)____________ for the appropriate year:
  A. MPN
  B. SAP Appeal Form
  C. PLUS Request Form
  D. Partial Year Loan Request Form
  Please make a choice